Thread: Came home yesterday to a ....

Came home yesterday to a ....

.... frigging sauna! It's been unseasonably hot down here lately ... so what better time for Murphey's Law to kick in? Our A/C crapped out. I'm at the age and disability level now that I just can't do the stuff I used to do. I'm thinking the drain is plugged and needs to be cleared (I'm due for a service anyway), but I just can't climb up in that attic anymore. I tried blowing it out from the outside, which usually works, but I think the works are gummed up with slime and it's more than I can clear. BUT ... I'm guessing. Heck, I can't even mow my own yard anymore, or change my own oil. I'm one of those cheap f's who HATES to pay someone else to do what I can do myself ... but these days I just can't do much for myself. It sucks!

Anyway, last night was pretty miserable but acceptable with a few expertly placed fans. I got up at 6:00 am and it was down to 82-degrees IN the house. ARRRGGGHHHH! Waiting on a call from my a/c guy as we speak (they open at 8:00). With the hot weather we've been having, I'm afraid of what I'm going to hear. "Sure, we can get by there next Tuesday afternoon to take a look at it, would you like to make an appointment?"
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Just got the call-back ... dude's gonna be here between 11:00 and 1:00 ... it should be nice and toasty in here by then.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    DIY-Bucket- .jpg

Backup AC.

you're welcome
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Have Lynn climb up there and pour some chlorox down the drain pan hole once in a while and it’ll be fine numbnuts. Its clogged with algae.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Have Lynn climb up there and pour some chlorox down the drain pan hole once in a while and it’ll be fine numbnuts. Its clogged with algae.
    BKB
    Ha! With her sciatica and two blown out discs, she's in as bad a shape as I am! That used to be my usual routine and I'd also run a hose from my compressor up there to clean the coils in the air handler as well as blow out the drain, but it's a confined space and more than I can handle these days. Plus I had the whole unit replaced 6 years ago and by just peeking up in the attic with a flashlight, I can't even tell how to get to the drain pan! The pan on my old unit was pretty exposed. This one looks like more work than I can handle being half crippled up (plus being fat and ALMOST as ugly as you doesn't help matters any).

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Sorry to hear this Thump as I don't know how a person could live without A/C down in your neck of the woods.

We have been having trouble with our unit every spring for the past couple of years and just a few weeks ago decided it was time to replace both the a/c and the furnace as they are now 30 years old. Fingers crossed that they next replacement will be somebody else's problem.

Yep, we replaced the whole system 6 years ago, but between Covid and the fact my friend and a/c guy died a few years back, I let maintenance fall behind. It's all serviced now and in tip-top shape. It's been a good unit so far. I had a start capacitor go out a couple years ago, but I replaced it myself. I usually do my own maintenance, but just can't do it anymore.

I just pulled the file and see I replaced the whole system in January 2018 for $5050, Who knows how much it would be today! It has a 20 year warranty on the units (heat pump & air handler), but I have to foot the normal maintenance myself.

Thats tough sledding Thump. I hate it you’re having trouble getting around. There should be more of an upside to being old. I mean, besides not being dead.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!