PDA

View Full Version : Came home yesterday to a ....

Thumper
06-19-2024, 08:06 AM
.... frigging sauna! It's been unseasonably hot down here lately ... so what better time for Murphey's Law to kick in? Our A/C crapped out. I'm at the age and disability level now that I just can't do the stuff I used to do. I'm thinking the drain is plugged and needs to be cleared (I'm due for a service anyway), but I just can't climb up in that attic anymore. I tried blowing it out from the outside, which usually works, but I think the works are gummed up with slime and it's more than I can clear. BUT ... I'm guessing. Heck, I can't even mow my own yard anymore, or change my own oil. I'm one of those cheap f's who HATES to pay someone else to do what I can do myself ... but these days I just can't do much for myself. It sucks!

Anyway, last night was pretty miserable but acceptable with a few expertly placed fans. I got up at 6:00 am and it was down to 82-degrees IN the house. ARRRGGGHHHH! Waiting on a call from my a/c guy as we speak (they open at 8:00). With the hot weather we've been having, I'm afraid of what I'm going to hear. "Sure, we can get by there next Tuesday afternoon to take a look at it, would you like to make an appointment?"

Thumper
06-19-2024, 08:17 AM
Just got the call-back ... dude's gonna be here between 11:00 and 1:00 ... it should be nice and toasty in here by then.

quercus alba
06-19-2024, 08:25 AM

Backup AC.

you're welcome

BarryBobPosthole
06-19-2024, 08:28 AM
Have Lynn climb up there and pour some chlorox down the drain pan hole once in a while and it’ll be fine numbnuts. Its clogged with algae.
BKB

Thumper
06-19-2024, 08:39 AM
Have Lynn climb up there and pour some chlorox down the drain pan hole once in a while and it’ll be fine numbnuts. Its clogged with algae.
BKB

Ha! With her sciatica and two blown out discs, she's in as bad a shape as I am! That used to be my usual routine and I'd also run a hose from my compressor up there to clean the coils in the air handler as well as blow out the drain, but it's a confined space and more than I can handle these days. Plus I had the whole unit replaced 6 years ago and by just peeking up in the attic with a flashlight, I can't even tell how to get to the drain pan! The pan on my old unit was pretty exposed. This one looks like more work than I can handle being half crippled up (plus being fat and ALMOST as ugly as you doesn't help matters any). ;)

Bwana
06-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Sorry to hear this Thump as I don't know how a person could live without A/C down in your neck of the woods.

We have been having trouble with our unit every spring for the past couple of years and just a few weeks ago decided it was time to replace both the a/c and the furnace as they are now 30 years old. Fingers crossed that they next replacement will be somebody else's problem.

Thumper
06-19-2024, 01:18 PM
Yep, we replaced the whole system 6 years ago, but between Covid and the fact my friend and a/c guy died a few years back, I let maintenance fall behind. It's all serviced now and in tip-top shape. It's been a good unit so far. I had a start capacitor go out a couple years ago, but I replaced it myself. I usually do my own maintenance, but just can't do it anymore.

Thumper
06-19-2024, 01:23 PM
I just pulled the file and see I replaced the whole system in January 2018 for $5050, Who knows how much it would be today! It has a 20 year warranty on the units (heat pump & air handler), but I have to foot the normal maintenance myself.

BarryBobPosthole
06-19-2024, 05:48 PM
Thats tough sledding Thump. I hate it you’re having trouble getting around. There should be more of an upside to being old. I mean, besides not being dead.

BKB