PDA

View Full Version : Dumb!

Thumper
06-03-2024, 09:35 AM
I remember when Prince changed his name to become that silly symbol of some sort. I'll admit, I liked Prince's music and could take a bong hit, crank up the volume and listen to Purple Rain over and over, but I always thought the "name" change was one of the dumbest things I'd ever seen. How did he sign his name? Draw a picture? Did he carry a rubber stamp to use on anything that required a signature? Who knows? But what always baffled me is how, whenever the print media referred to him by name, they'd print the symbol, then add in parenthesis, (formerly known as Prince). Or if simply writing about him his "name" would become "Artist Formerly Known As Prince"! Stupid.

But now, since Elon purchased Twitter and changed the name to X, why is it ALWAYS referred to as "X - formerly known as Twitter"? Can't we just live with "X"?

I mean really, name changes are nothing new, but you never see dumb shit stuff like, SUBWAY - formerly known as Pete’s Super Submarines. Or GOOGLE - formerly known as BackRub. Or e-Bay - formerly known as AuctionWeb.

Heck, maybe I'm thinking too much today ... I think I'll go find something constructive to do. Carry on ...

Thumper - formerly known as Jim

quercus alba
06-03-2024, 10:39 AM
Go hit a sushi bar then vegetate the rest of the afternoon. I think if we're going to look down our noses at all the foolishness around us then we need to do it in comfort.

contemptuousness can be hard work

Thumper
06-03-2024, 11:02 AM
Heck, just saying the word contemptuousness is more work than I feel like doing today! :oldfart

BarryBobPosthole
06-03-2024, 11:49 AM
Just a friendly reminder that ebay isn’t a ‘real’ auction sitesoits forbidden to use that name.

I sure hope QA gets fed soon. From his posts it sounds like he’s starving.
BKB

Thumper
06-03-2024, 12:20 PM
eBay has two formats, auction or "buy-it-now". The seller decides how he wants to list an item. I didn't have much patience for auctions and usually just set my price as a buy-it-now. I'd sometimes use an auction if I had an item that I had no clue what it was worth. The market would determine it's value.

BarryBobPosthole
06-03-2024, 12:32 PM
I see that one flew, well actually zoomed right over your ginormous melon.

BKB

Thumper
06-03-2024, 12:48 PM
Must be the gummies. I’m lost.

quercus alba
06-03-2024, 01:02 PM
I see what you did posty

speaking of hungry, I've got some tenderized backstrap in the crockpot with gravy. carrots, and yukon golds seasoned liberally with salt and garlic powder. Think I'll slice a couple of mushrooms and toss in there as well

while I'm working up an appetite looking down my nose at the rest of the world

Thumper
06-03-2024, 01:18 PM
You have to tenderize backstrap for the crock pot???

BarryBobPosthole
06-03-2024, 01:51 PM
I know how to tenderize backstrap. With my back molars!

BKB

quercus alba
06-03-2024, 02:46 PM
I run everything thru the tenderizer, the crockpot just happened to be the weapon of choice this time.