PDA

View Full Version : NOTE: This is a "MUST READ" blended in with a rambling Thump post ...

Thumper
06-02-2024, 11:11 AM
*** To skip the "fluff:, scan down to the bold print ***

We're a dying breed here at G/H. There was a time, you could take a 1-day break from this place and when you checked back in, you'd have a couple hours of reading to catch up on the latest posts. Heck, I even remember the days we'd spread out and post here during the day, then run over to Mauserman's site to play at night. Through the years, many ... too many of us ... have either died oft (miss them all dearly), got pissed oft and runned oft and a few Commie turncoats have even dumped us altogether and runned oft to Facebook. Not much goes on here anymore, but it's still the first place I check into every day ... and 99% of the time, find the page hasn't changed since the last time I checked. Kind'a like a SLOW day fishing, ya' sit for so long without a bite, you start checking your bait every 10 minutes just to find out it's still there. Face it, you're just not getting any bites and the fish just aren't interested in what you're offering.

If I want a real smile and a few chuckles, I'll go back and read old posts. Some I never even remember seeing before, although I'd feel safe to say, I've read EVERY single thing ever posted on this site at one time or another. It's been that way for as long as we've been around, I read EVERY post here (but that does NOT mean I've commented on every one). When our old, original site shut down, everything vanished into cyber-space with it. I have to assume, the same will happen to this place someday. I've always heard, once something is posted on the Internet, it's there forever, but I haven't found that to be true. Heck, I have no clue where the "CLOUD" is or how to access it, but I know I have it on (in?) my iPhone, but I assume once I stop paying my bill, whatever is there (wherever "there" is) will disappear forever. When I look back on the OLD posts here, I'm always saddened a bit when I think this will all be gone someday. There have been times I've thought about an OLD post from the original site and searched for it, but it just ain't out there. I even dug around once to look for old posts from the old All Outdoors site .. they don't exist.

Well heck, I could go on forever. I guess it wouldn't matter much, because in reality, I'm REAL close to just talking to myself here these days, but maybe a couple of lost souls might drop in and wade through this rambling mess. Surely, nobody NEW will be dropping in. Months ago, I tried to pretend I was a newbie trying to register here ... nothing happened, but I found a link that said if I'm having trouble registering, click on it and "somebody" will help me. I clicked on it, but that was the end of it. Heck, I have no idea who that link even connects to! I kind'a thought it went to the Lenster, but he's so busy licking peckers and swallowing over on FB, he doesn't even know we exist! (Ha! That's just a test to see if he even reads anything here anymore) ;)

IN CASE YOU'RE JUST SCROLLING THROUGH, HERE'S THE IMPORTANT PART THAT'S A MUST READ!

Our site renewal is coming up in persactly one month ... 7/2/2024. In the old days, members could kick in a nickel apiece and it would pay our operating costs. Now, there are very few of us still kicking and I need feedback on whether to keep this site alive or not. If yes, it's time to solicit contributions to the kitty. I have no idea how much we need, I'll have to make a call to Go-Daddy to see if they can figure it out. The renewals are set up for automatic payment on my credit card and I don't know what the bill is until they get ready to charge me. HOPEFULLY the fees will be close to previous renewals, but if their rates are anything like groceries, they've gone up! Anyway, I've always promised transparency with our accounting and the books are open to anybody who wants to see them (printed receipts and donation figures), but I'll post what we have in the official G/H bank account, as well as the renewal costs from last year, just to give youse bozos an idea of what we're up against and let us make a decision as to whether or not to keep this place alive. NOTE: I did take Go-Daddy up on a "special offer" in 2023. I paid $89.40 for 5-years coverage with their Website Security Package, mostly because if we got hacked, I have no clue who here could fix the place. In the old days, Nandy and Co9 would help, so you get the idea as to how far back that goes. Len helped at one point, but he's busy with his second career as a rock star suffering from a mid-life crisis. If we got hacked, I think we'd be dead in the water, so I hope this helps. At any rate, that package is paid for until 2028, so no worries.

Our present bank balance - $19.90
G/H Domain Renewal 2023 -
Goodhunting.info - $34.99/yr.
Goodhunting.com - $21.99/yr.
Web Hosting (Go-Daddy) - $167.88/yr.

Total for renewals (LAST year's prices) - $224.86

BarryBobPosthole
06-03-2024, 09:05 AM
Just sent you something. Thanks for taking care of our bookkeeping Jimbo.
BKB

Thumper
06-03-2024, 09:59 AM
Thanks P-hole (it just hit my PayPal account) ... I'll hold it as one vote to keep this sinking ship afloat for at least another year. Who knows? If the rest vote to pull the plug, I'll return the donation(s) ... (or maybe take a cruise!) :beer

I'd also like any suggestions as to who here is tech savvy enough to figure out how to fix the help link. I'm sure we don't attract a lot of legitimate newbies trying to register, just a bunch of Russian and Nigerian scammers, but as far as I can tell, there's no way for a newbie to register anyway, so the place CANNOT grow and will eventually die off due to natural attrition. Besides, anyone who might stumble upon the site, would probably be searching for a hunting/fishing site and would find nothing but a bunch of grumpy old-timers who participate in nothing short of a good-ol'-boys club.

I did go through the Go-Daddy site and found all the contact info was still in Larke's name/address, etc, but it had my email address. I edited all of that to show my name, address, and phone number. I also clicked a box that requested ALL correspondence be forwarded to me. Whether or not that includes the help link, I have no idea. I suppose time will tell.

Big Muddy
06-03-2024, 02:50 PM
I'll contribute, too.....but, it'll prolly be via snail mail, when I get back home in a few days.

Thumper
06-03-2024, 03:45 PM
Thanks Mudward. Payment isn’t due until 7/2, so we’re good.

Penguin
06-04-2024, 12:14 PM
Jim I've lost your address again. Could you text it? 331-457-1373

Thanks buddy.

Thumper
06-04-2024, 01:03 PM
Jim I've lost your address again. Could you text it? 331-457-1373

Thanks buddy.

Done! :)

Chicken Dinner
06-06-2024, 10:51 AM
Do you take Zelle? Venmo and PayPal are dead to me now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
06-06-2024, 11:52 AM
CD, I do have Zelle through my bank (Chase), but I’ll be darned if I know how it works. Is there something you need from me? Or is it like a PayPal thing with email or something?

Chicken Dinner
06-06-2024, 11:00 PM
If you have it set up on your end, I just need your cell.

Thumper
06-06-2024, 11:34 PM
(863) 712-7291

(That’s for direct deposit into my Swiss bank account) ;)

Chicken Dinner
06-07-2024, 11:21 AM
Just sent you $1 as a test. Let me know if you got it and I’ll send more.

Thumper
06-07-2024, 12:13 PM
Sorry CD, I’ve been at the vet all morning. We had to put one of our cats down today. We’ve had her for 8 years and she was a real sweetheart. Lynn is a basket case this morning. We just returned home and I noticed the deposit came through with no problem.

Chicken Dinner
06-07-2024, 08:08 PM
I’m sorry to hear about your cat. Losing a pet is always hard. Sent a small contribution.

Chicken Dinner
06-07-2024, 08:09 PM
Just for the record, not for your cat.[emoji41]

Thumper
06-07-2024, 08:44 PM
Ha! Thanks buddy. Not for the cat, but it WILL go to the kitty. ;)

It made it through with no problem and will be added to the G/H fortune.

BarryBobPosthole
06-08-2024, 11:31 AM
FWIW, I’m glad to see folks deciding to keep GH around.
BKB

Thumper
06-08-2024, 12:33 PM
Yessir. We should do a roll call some day and try to get an actual count of who still checks in … even if just as a lurker. Simply open the thread and type, “HERE”!

Thumper
06-16-2024, 09:38 AM
I'll contribute, too.....but, it'll prolly be via snail mail, when I get back home in a few days.

Got it Mudward. Thanks for helping! :thumbsup